Friday, June 21, 2013

I'm Not Like Everybody Else (Happy Birthday Ray Davies)




Happy birthday, Ray Davies. 

I’ve been felicitating you every June 21st ever since ever since, as Bob Marley might say, and it gives me enormous pleasure because your great and varied works have meant so much to me for so long.

We are, collectively, in such a hole and They keep on digging.

So-called Social Media is turning everybody into everybody else.  Identikit.

So I’ve been relying more and more on your song “I’m Not Like Everybody Else” to see me through.  

There was a time I didn’t really like it, but now I love it.  Here’s a version that your brother Dave performed, which I think is magical.  I saw him play it the other week in the shadows of Industrial Revolution monuments/ruins/runes.  He ripped the place up.

I look forward to sitting in the midday sun with you and ours evermore evermore.




Dave Davies: I'm Not Like Everybody Else (Link)

The Kinks: Sitting In The Midday Sun (Link)


No comments:

Post a Comment