Wednesday, June 5, 2013

CABIN IN THE WOODS (COCKTAIL RECIPE)







2 ounces Canadian whisky
¾ ounce ruby port, preferably Warre’s Warrior
¼ ounce mescal
¼ ounce orange curaçao
¾  teaspoon Fernet-Branca (bitter Italian digestif)
Dash of Angostura bitters
Dash of orange bitters
Ice
1 orange twist
In a mixing glass, combine all of the ingredients except ice and the twist; fill with ice and stir well. Strain into a chilled coupe.  Pinch the twist over the drink; discard.

From:  Food and Wine, Cocktails 2013.




Notes:

1. I sincerely recommend (Jane does too) that you try to see Joss Whedon’s  enjoyable movie, Cabin In The Woods, the source for the illustrations here.

2.  This drink is extremely appealing.  I might order it if I were in the kind of “advanced” cocktail bar likely to offer it, but I doubt I would ever prepare it myself, even though I have a fine and extensive collection of fancy drink glasses, which I cherish.  I’ve just lost the “head” for it and my priorities, such as they are, have migrated, at least temporarily.

3.  A long-time-ago, my friend Jim Gardner, a bartender at the time (and a very good writer also), once said to me, “bitter drinks for bitter people.”  I’m not sure I agree with that.  Jim knew something about my life history and, I think, was trying to be nice and empathetic.

4. I’ll bet Warre’s Warrior is very good of its type.  I used to look down on ruby ports, but I loved Warre’s Nimrod, the house’s tawny marque.




Hank Williams: Setting The Woods On Fire (Link)

No comments:

Post a Comment