Friday, November 11, 2011

Letter To Anna Duncan, January 3, 1865










Dear Miss Duncan, 


    [. . . ] I got home very safely last night, and partly this was owing to the care taken of my by two remarkably large & amiable Frogs, whose arms I took , & who saw me down the lane.  (You will see a true representation of the fact overleaf.)  Nothing could exceed the genteel & intelligent expression of their countenances, except the urbanity of their deportment  and the melancholy and oblivious sweetness of their voices.  They informed me that they were the parents of nine and forty tadpoles of various ages and talents some of whom were expecting shortly to emigrate to Malvern and Mesopotamia.



Believe me,

     Yours sincerely,

          Edward Lear








No comments:

Post a Comment