Wednesday, May 7, 2014

SUSAN (2)






"Of course, living the way I do,” she said, “I find I reach more peak experiences in general.  It’s the perfect place, up here.  I’ve come to realize that the mind can achieve anything so long as reality doesn’t get in its way.” 

Then she caught her breath suddenly, and I asked what was the matter, and she murmured that she was just listening to the rain.  It was falling harder now.  Was it raining very hard at the beach,  too?  I glanced out of the window and said yes, it was coming down in torrents.  Everything looked blurred and shiny and weeping.



  


Gavin Lambert, The Goodbye People, New York, Simon and Schuster, 1971.
Upper: Gerhard Richter, Portrait of Liz Kertelege, 1966.
Lower:  Gerhard Richter, September, 2005.

No comments:

Post a Comment