Saturday, October 9, 2010

Why Are We Sleeping? (It begins with a blessing)










"While fully admitting the major role that warfare has probably played in shaping our uniquely human brain, I submit that until our remote ancestors acquired 'language', they would not have been able to engage in the kind of planned intergroup conflicts that could develop into warfare" 

-- Jane Goodall, The Chimpanzees of Gombe




It begins with a blessing, it ends with a curse
Making life easy, by making it worse
"My mask is my master", the trumpeter weeps
But his voice is so weak, as he speaks from his sleep, saying
"Why, why, why........Why are we sleeping?"




My head is a nightclub of glasses and wine
The customers dancing are just marking time
You can turn to your partner and say "How does it seem?"
They'll look at you and say "Get out of my dream", saying
"Why, why, why........Why are we sleeping?"









No comments:

Post a Comment