Thursday, September 12, 2013

ON THE ROAD (AGAIN): SEPTEMBER 11, 1786







Trento, September 11, Early morning

After fifty crowded lively hours I arrived here at eight o’clock last night, went early to bed and am now once more in a condition to continue with my narrative.  On the evening of the ninth, after finishing the first instalment of my diary, I thought I would try to make a drawing of the inn, a post-house on the Brenner, but I was unsuccessful.  I failed to catch the character of the place and returned indoors in somewhat of an ill-humour.  The innkeeper asked me if I would not like to start on my way at once because the moon would soon be rising and the road was excellent.  I knew that he wanted the horses back early next morning to bring in the second hay crop, so that this advice was not disinterested, but, since it corresponded with my heart’s desire, I accepted it with alacrity.  The sun came out again, the air was balmy:  I packed and at seven o’clock I set off.  The clouds had dispersed and the evening became very beautiful.






Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, Italian Journey (1786-1788), translated by W.H. Auden and Elizabeth Mayer, New York, Pantheon Press, 1962.

Lovin' Spoonful: On The Road Again (1965) (Link)

Gerhard Richter Paintings: Top -- Zwei Fiat (1964);  Bottom --  Himmel (1978).
 

No comments:

Post a Comment