Monday, April 23, 2012

The Byrds Meet Yves Klein









There's no reason to feel Blue 
Because of what he says to You
& I wouldn't want to see you hurt no More
I could never do you Wrong 
'Cause my love for you's too Strong
& You won't have to cry Anymore



 






Note:    



"You Won't Have To Cry," a Beatles-y early Byrds song, is one of Gene Clark’s least obscure lyrics, but considered as a whole the song still reflects what Roger McGuinn called  Gene's “nice sense of the abstract.”  No one ever could match breath, line lengths, sense and sensibility like Gene.


The late Yves Klein painting shown here is scheduled to be auctioned this month at Sotheby’s New York.  Expectations  are insanely high (US $30-40 million)!  I've never made my mind up entirely about Yves Klein, the Artist. But I’ve always liked Yves Klein, the Event.




2. Yves Klein (1928-1962), FC 1 (Fire-Color 1) detail, dry pigment and synthetic resin on panel, 1962.

 

2 comments:

  1. Oh wow! These paintings are stunning. I have never seen this artist.
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Yves Klein story, which is short (in terms of his life span) and rich (in terms of incident and, especially in Europe, fame) is dramatic and vivid. During his lifetime, I was never quite sure how to place him/what it meant. But I also never expected to be thinking about it still, so it must have been a good story. It's definitely worth knowing about. Curtis

    ReplyDelete