Saturday, June 11, 2011

Dreaming Spires; Bridge of Sighs (It's All Too Beautiful)












Over Bridge of Sighs
To rest my eyes in shades of green
Under dreaming spires
To Itchycoo Park, that's where I've been
What did you do there?







 


I feel inclined to blow my mind
Get hung up feeding ducks with a bun
They all come out to groove about
With eyes that have followed the sun 







 



Reader Note:  Jane is off to Cambridge, England on a 10-day exchange program today.  We are very excited for her.  I know that the Dreaming Spires image comes from Matthew Arnold and refers specifically to Oxford, but I think it will do here also.  After all, the Small Faces lyric also includes a reference to Henry Hutchinson's Bridge of Sighs at St. John's College, Cambridge. Enjoy the cool punting, enjoy the linked Small Faces performances.  It is brutally hot here in the Delaware Valley.   It's all too beautiful.

2 comments:

  1. It is true- too beautiful, but fortunately some things in life are-and are free to those who open their eyes. I hope your daughter gets to do that very thing, what a wonderful time to See. The first photograph looks like a painting-after enlarging it even, very beautiful indeed. Did you take these?pgt

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Gaye. I thought that about the top photo also. None of these shots are mine. All found through some enjoyable research. I was out this morning when Jane called (as requested) to say that things were great so far. 10 days at a good English school in Cambridge living with a family whose lovely daughter visited us last fall. The trip will include an after noon at Ascot -- Royal Ascot, apparently. Jane's mother put her wardrobe together, so she should look great. Jane is the gifted photographer in the family and I'm really looking forward to seeing what she puts together. My photographic talent extends to making groups of figures -- any group of figures -- look static and lifeless, I'm afraid. I redacted (I'd say concentrated) the Small Faces lyric because I don't want to lead Jane's friends who visit here astray, but it's really the most wonderful and innocent song celebrating joyful adolescent indolence and casual, hopeful disrespect for authority. It's sweltering here. Heading to the foothills of the Catskills (Tuxedo Park, NY) in the Hudson Valley shortly. Curtis

    ReplyDelete